Sunday, February 19, 2006

HOMEWARD BOUND

Four days ago, I did something I hadn't done in years; something so detrimental to one's street cred, that I vowed I would never do it again. That's right: I went away with my parents.

Why did I do it? Well, it certainly wasn't for the company. Nor, for once, was it for the sake of a freeby (though my parents did pay). I did it out, for want of a better word, out of duty. I sacrificed four days of my life because I knew that the happiness my four-day sufferthon would arouse in my parents can't be measured in pounds, nights out or five-knuckle-shuffles in economy class.

So I went, I came and now I'm going back. It doesn't feel like I've had a holiday. In fact, i feel sleepier now than I did when I left a mild, sun-kissed London on Wednesday just in time for a once-in-a-lifetime Jerusalem snow-storm (which, sadly, failed to materialise).

Much to my surprise, I hardly argued with my parents. Not because I'm too old for that kind of thing. Mum and dad are still the only people on the planet who I'll routinely lose my temper with. I think I just detached myself from the whole experience. It wasn't actually me that was here, enjoying the white-washed charms of Bet Shemesh (on the road between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv); it wasn't me that was embraced heartily by his nephew, ignored by his other niece and barely noticed by his newest relation; and it wasn't me that struggled to contain his horn while being served lentil soup by 21-year old, freckle-faced nymph as his father broke puerile jokes together with his bread.

I haven't quite worked out if this is a good thing. I suppose this must be how the likes of Terry Waite endured being locked up for all those years without losing their marbles. If you're not there, then it can't be happening to you. I think the guy at the end of Orwell's 1984 did the same when he was bout to have his eyes torn out by a ravenous rat. Solipsism, is the word he used: nothing exists except me and my mental self. And if you know what that means, then you're far brighter than me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home