Tuesday, February 21, 2006

FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING

All my life I've prided myself on being a trouper. Not at school, not at university and never at work, have I taken a day's sick leave. Today, my 100% record lies in tatters.

In my defense, I haven't felt this shit since I woke up with gastroentiritis and thought that I was going to die. I was in so much pain that even to crawl into a taxi to take me to hospital felt like a Herculean achievement.

This time, I just have a cold, headache, cough, sore throat and everything else you could possibly ask from a virus. And yet I was still too proud to tell my boss that I wouldn't be in tomorrow either.

So this time Wednesday I shall be back in the office; forced into the soft-labour of the damned that is a night shift. I'm seriously thinking about packing it all in and starting up a business.

Lady-wise, Lisa made a surprise reappearance in my life this evening. I was taking out the trash when I spotted a jiffy bag on the floor. On its cover was a child-like, messy scrawl addressed to me. Inside, together with a note from Lisa, was the soundtrack to Garden State. How sweet is that?

"I ordered this a few weeks ago (when we were still together)," she wrote, "so I thought I'd drop it in anyway. Thought it might make you smile." It did. She continued: "Give me a shout if you're up for a re-match. Lisa." Is that re-match at Scrabble? Or a re-match at "us". I guess there's only one way to find out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweets said...

Aw! That is cute. She's very thoughtful. Hope you feel better soon. Hint: ginger tea will take care of your throat.

7:36 pm  
Blogger David Cohen said...

Thanks, hon. I usually go for hot lemon, but will see if I can whip up some ginger. DC xx

8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home