Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I'M 30!

If it wasn't for the fact that I've just started a night-shift after driving back to London from Nottingham, I'd be feeling pretty chirpy. As it is, I'm sleepier than Rip Van Wrinkle just before taking a rather long nap.

So why the sleep-deprived good humour? Well, the big night itself got off to a rather slow start. A dive on Finchley Road was the rendezvous for my coming of age. There were three floors - the rammed top floor, itself split into a Jewish right and Gentile left, divided only by a bouncer-laden landing; the ground floor, where people waited for the neckless bouncers to let them up; and the lower-ground floor, where people, so far as I could tell, just went to shit (the top-floor toilets only had porcelain urinals - a tiny box of a bog, complete with valet to squirt soap on your hands and pass you toilet roll to dry them, before waiting expectantly for his tip).

In among the predicted fat-arses, faux Liz Hurley dresses exposing lifeless bosoms, and drunken chavs, was Rachel. She was a friend of Rob's. She had a phd, a nose-ring and, in her words, "had only ever shagged one guy". I already had the impression that she fancied me before she started rubbing my back and stroking my paunch.

Luckily, I'd already met Tamy. The tanned, evanescent-toothed Glaswegian was just about the only thing I cared to look at for the rest of the evening. I was drunk, but not annoyingly so. I gleaned that she lives round the corner from my parents and works as an optician in the City. "I know this isn't exactly the best place to make a good first impression," I told her. "But can I give you a call some time and take you out for a drink?" I asked. She smiled, looked at me in a flattered kind of way, and then told me she had a boyfriend. He shoots, he misses!

I wasn't too upset, though. I prefer to be rejected on the grounds of prior-commitment, rather than anything else. That way, at least, I can think to myself that it was a question of poor-timing, not poor personality.

So I left around 1.30am. I walked home in the freezing fog. My flat was warm, but unheated. I opened my presents: Garden State; Paul Smith washbag; Simpsons DVDs; and chalah bread board. Some lovely cards too. I went to bed, contentedly inebriated and not the least bit resentful that I'd just turned 30.

The next morning, the sun woke me (as happens every day now - I really must buy those blinds!). I turned on my phone. A text from Rosa, a Greek girl I'd gone out with once but had never called again. She was wishing me a happy birthday, the fulfillment of all of my dreams and everything else my heart desired.

It really put a smile on my 30-year old face. Perhaps I was too dismissive of her the first time round? I told her to let me know when she was back in town. Just on the grounds of sweetness, she deserves another chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home