Thursday, June 29, 2006

HORSES FOR TOILETS
Swooshing into work on my bike this morning, I rode over evidence that dozens of beasts of burden had clippety-plopped their way along this route earlier.

Smeared in ten foot by three foot clumps, horse shit stained the road surface, glistening in the sun. I tried to avoid it, but in places it was unavoidable. Inevitably, some of the shit went onto my wheels. More worryingly, after being ground into the hot tar, the horse shit had been pulverised into dust, and was now dancing in circles as the wind blew in. I feared for my airway; I closed my mouth and did my best to shut my nostrils like a camel does.

So not a pleasant journey. But it occurred to me that if your dog poos on the curb, you get fined. If you drop litter on the ground, you can get fined. Yet if you're a police horse, you can plop equine excrement all over the road without so much as a "oops, I've shat myself". How can this be legal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home